As we all know, organization is important in every aspect of our lives. Organization keeps things neat and tidy, it helps us keep an 'inventory' of our supplies, and we know where everything is (which saves a lot of time!). We also know how easy it is in a studio to create a mess and quickly become unorganized, which leads to a lot of uncreative time and energy in the studio!
I recently started reorganizing my home studio as it was definitely in dire need of some structure!! My husband was able to acquire a set of base and wall cabinets from a hospital job that he is doing. They were going to just throw them away, and they were perfectly good cabinets, just needed a little cleaning up! So, you know me, always trying to re-purpose things, I gladly accepted them in order to help organize my studio.
The base cabinet is a three door cabinet with six drawers. The wall cabinet is a four door cabinet. My husband installed them for me and WOW, what a great improvement!!
I went to the local hardware store and found a six foot prefabricated counter top for a decent price, brought that home, and he installed that for me also.
Here are some tips to help you get organized:
- Go through your studio and get a good idea of what you have.
- Get rid of things you don't need or won't use.
- See if there are any materials on hand that can serve as good organizers (baskets, Rubbermaid tubs, cabinets, etc).
- If you don't have adequate storage, visit a thrift store and antique shop and see if there is anything that can be used for storage, for example, old dressers, hutches, etc.. Sometimes you can find quite the deals, and you can bring them home, fix them up, refinish them in a way to show your style or personality!
- Once you have the storage in place, start sorting your stash by medium. I have one drawer for watercolors, one for acrylics, one for pastels and pencils, one for paper, etc. One shelf for books and instructional materials. You get the idea.
So get out there and get organized and let your creative juices flow!!
Do you have some tips for organization in your studio? Leave me a comment, I'd love to hear about them!!
If you like these tips or any of my blogs, please subscribe today at the top right of my blog to receive my blog via email!
Please visit my gallery and Facebook fan page!
Thanks for stopping by!!